Alisal Community School Kids

Alisal Community School Kids
afterschool program

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Uno Mas

I recently decided to extend my contract with AmeriCorps for another year, so I'll be working in Salinas through June of 2011.

Some of my reasons:

When a kid looks at me and asks if I'll be here next year, I am incapable of saying "No."

There is a desperate need in the district for good teachers. I'm not saying I'm great, but I'm reliable, creative, and I put my heart into it. Sadly there are a lot of people here who aren't that way.

When I started AmeriCorps this year, I would have appreciated an experienced member at my school site to smooth some school politics over and show me the ropes. I want to help shape AmeriCorps at this school for the next group, and the next, and the next...

I'm happy--really happy-- doing this. Since I have the option of staying longer, why rush off? This is a very new way of thinking for me, but I've been working on patience. Feels good.

Those are the big 4. I'd gotten used to having the future completely undecided, and once I committed to a plan for the next year and a half, that felt really strange. The more I think and plan through the year 2011 though, the better I feel about it.

Not to mention how good it feels to tell the kids "Yes, I'll be back." I am no deserter.

No comments:

Post a Comment